Pentagon Readies 1,500 Troops for Potential Minnesota Deployment
The Chronify
The U.S. Pentagon has ordered roughly 1,500 active-duty soldiers to prepare for possible deployment to Minnesota amid escalating protests tied to the federal immigration crackdown. The troops are on standby, but no deployment has yet been ordered.
The U.S. Department of Defense has placed about 1,500 active-duty soldiers on prepare-to-deploy orders for a potential mission to Minnesota, where large protests and confrontations have erupted over the federal government’s immigration enforcement operations. The order covers infantry units from the 11th Airborne Division, which are based in Alaska and specialise in cold-weather operations.
Officials told Reuters that the troops are being readied in case violence escalates further in the midwestern state, but it is not yet clear whether they will actually be sent to Minnesota. The Pentagon and the White House did not immediately comment on specific deployment plans.
The preparedness move follows threats by Donald Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act-a rarely used statute that allows the president to deploy active-duty forces domestically to quell unrest-after protests intensified in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Those protests were sparked by the fatal shooting of Renee Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, by an US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer on January 7.
Since then, the Trump administration has sent around 3,000 federal immigration and border patrol officers into the area, prompting daily demonstrations and rising tensions between residents and federal agents. Some local officials and civil liberties groups have strongly criticised the federal response, warning that military deployment could further inflame the situation rather than calm it.
While Trump has publicly threatened to use broader federal authority under the Insurrection Act, other reports indicate he later suggested there was no immediate need to invoke the law. Under U.S. legal norms, active-duty troops normally cannot be used as law enforcement without specific legal authorisation.
Minnesota’s governor and mayor have opposed the use of federal military forces, urging de-escalation and restraint amid ongoing protests and urging peaceful expressions of dissent.
In summary, the Pentagon’s readiness order signals heightened caution in Washington as federal, local, and state authorities grapple with political and civil unrest tied to immigration policy and enforcement actions-while the actual deployment of the 1,500 troops remains contingent on evolving conditions and decisions from the highest levels of government.
Officials told Reuters that the troops are being readied in case violence escalates further in the midwestern state, but it is not yet clear whether they will actually be sent to Minnesota. The Pentagon and the White House did not immediately comment on specific deployment plans.
The preparedness move follows threats by Donald Trump to invoke the Insurrection Act-a rarely used statute that allows the president to deploy active-duty forces domestically to quell unrest-after protests intensified in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Those protests were sparked by the fatal shooting of Renee Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, by an US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer on January 7.
Since then, the Trump administration has sent around 3,000 federal immigration and border patrol officers into the area, prompting daily demonstrations and rising tensions between residents and federal agents. Some local officials and civil liberties groups have strongly criticised the federal response, warning that military deployment could further inflame the situation rather than calm it.
While Trump has publicly threatened to use broader federal authority under the Insurrection Act, other reports indicate he later suggested there was no immediate need to invoke the law. Under U.S. legal norms, active-duty troops normally cannot be used as law enforcement without specific legal authorisation.
Minnesota’s governor and mayor have opposed the use of federal military forces, urging de-escalation and restraint amid ongoing protests and urging peaceful expressions of dissent.
In summary, the Pentagon’s readiness order signals heightened caution in Washington as federal, local, and state authorities grapple with political and civil unrest tied to immigration policy and enforcement actions-while the actual deployment of the 1,500 troops remains contingent on evolving conditions and decisions from the highest levels of government.
Related News
You may like
Elected News
-
From Spending to Saving: How Households Are Rewriting Their Money Habits
-
Toxic Chemical Found in Watermelon After Four Family Members Die in Mumbai
-
Pakistan Army Accuses India of “State Terrorism” During Press Briefing on Regional Tensions
-
Gaza Journalist Killed Hours After Welcoming Newborn Daughter Amid Ongoing War