Sports Adviser to Meet World Cup Squad Thursday Amid ICC Standoff
The Chronify
Youth and Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul will meet Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup squad in Dhaka today as uncertainty looms over the team’s participation. The discussion comes amid a standoff with the ICC over Bangladesh’s refusal to travel to India citing security concerns.
Youth and Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul is set to hold a meeting this afternoon with members of Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup squad as tensions continue with the International Cricket Council over the venue of the tournament.
The meeting will take place at 3:00pm at Hotel InterContinental in Dhaka, with players named in the World Cup squad expected to attend. According to sources, the government will brief the cricketers on the circumstances that led Bangladesh to decide against travelling to India and discuss possible next steps.
Bangladesh has already formally informed the ICC that it will not travel to India due to security concerns. However, following an ICC board meeting on Wednesday, the governing body reiterated that participation in the tournament would require Bangladesh to play its matches in India, ruling out any venue change.
In a press release, the ICC said it found no security threat to Bangladeshi players, officials or supporters in India. It also described the incident involving pacer Mustafizur Rahman-who was dropped from the Indian Premier League after alleged threats from extremists-as a “singular and irrelevant” matter, confirming that the World Cup schedule would remain unchanged.
Reacting to the development, Bangladesh Cricket Board President Aminul Islam said he had requested additional time from the ICC to consult the government before making a final decision.
“I am hoping for a miracle,” he said, adding that the ICC granted the board a 24-hour window to reconsider its stance.
The BCB’s decision not to send the team was taken following government instructions after the Mustafizur incident. Since then, the board has held two rounds of discussions with the ICC-one virtual and one in person-while maintaining its proposal to play the World Cup in Sri Lanka instead.
The ICC board’s vote indicated majority support for enforcing participation in India, raising the possibility that Bangladesh could be excluded from the tournament if it does not reverse its decision. A final announcement on Bangladesh’s participation is expected later today.
The meeting will take place at 3:00pm at Hotel InterContinental in Dhaka, with players named in the World Cup squad expected to attend. According to sources, the government will brief the cricketers on the circumstances that led Bangladesh to decide against travelling to India and discuss possible next steps.
Bangladesh has already formally informed the ICC that it will not travel to India due to security concerns. However, following an ICC board meeting on Wednesday, the governing body reiterated that participation in the tournament would require Bangladesh to play its matches in India, ruling out any venue change.
In a press release, the ICC said it found no security threat to Bangladeshi players, officials or supporters in India. It also described the incident involving pacer Mustafizur Rahman-who was dropped from the Indian Premier League after alleged threats from extremists-as a “singular and irrelevant” matter, confirming that the World Cup schedule would remain unchanged.
Reacting to the development, Bangladesh Cricket Board President Aminul Islam said he had requested additional time from the ICC to consult the government before making a final decision.
“I am hoping for a miracle,” he said, adding that the ICC granted the board a 24-hour window to reconsider its stance.
The BCB’s decision not to send the team was taken following government instructions after the Mustafizur incident. Since then, the board has held two rounds of discussions with the ICC-one virtual and one in person-while maintaining its proposal to play the World Cup in Sri Lanka instead.
The ICC board’s vote indicated majority support for enforcing participation in India, raising the possibility that Bangladesh could be excluded from the tournament if it does not reverse its decision. A final announcement on Bangladesh’s participation is expected later today.
Related News
You may like
Elected News
-
From Spending to Saving: How Households Are Rewriting Their Money Habits
-
Toxic Chemical Found in Watermelon After Four Family Members Die in Mumbai
-
Pakistan Army Accuses India of “State Terrorism” During Press Briefing on Regional Tensions
-
Gaza Journalist Killed Hours After Welcoming Newborn Daughter Amid Ongoing War